News and Updates: Please find the Towns new Stormwater Utility rates and an explanation of the rates here.
Stormwater in the Town of Prosper
In November 2014, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) approved the Town of Prosper’s Stormwater Management Plan (SWMP). A SWMP is renewed every 5 years and is designed to address the impacts of pollutants carried by the increased volume of stormwater runoff typically found in developing urbanized areas.
Requirements set forth by the EPA and the TCEQ to reduce the potential for watershed impacts are met by the Town by adopting best management practices (BMPs). These BMPs include educating the public about healthy household habits, commercial property maintenance, illicit discharge detection/elimination, impairments in the Town’s waterbodies, and the Town’s own municipal operations. These activities can greatly reduce the exposure of pollutants that can end up in stormwater runoff and local creeks, lakes and rivers.
Other BMPs that the Town of Prosper practices:
- Treatment or detention ponds that hold rain water, slow down large volumes of rain from heavy rain showers to minimize pollutants carried by storm events.
- Facility operating and maintenance procedures designed to limit exposure of and prevent materials from being carried away by rain water.
- Stormwater education of Town staff, residents, corporate citizens and visitors.
- Collecting and encouraging information from the public
- Management practices to control runoff from accidental spills or leaks of chemicals and wastes.
- Erosion and sediment control practices for new and redevelopment, during roadway improvements and other construction.
- The protection of existing green spaces that absorb rainwater and minimize the impact that paved or other impervious surfaces can have on the watershed.
- Any other similar actions that Town staff and residents find appropriate and necessary for the control of pollutants.
For more info on rules and regulations and getting involved to prevent stormwater pollution, email us.
Stormwater Utility Administrator