Denton County added to areas in disaster declaration

June 11, 2015

West Prosper residents and businesses may be eligible for help

PROSPER – Residents as well as businesses in west Prosper are now eligible for Individual Assistance as a result of a disaster declaration by the Texas Division of Emergency Management and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) which includes Denton County, says Town Manager Harlan Jefferson.

“The western third of Prosper is in Denton County, and the declaration may make them eligible for assistance,” he said. “The assistance can be in the form of federal grants to help pay for rent, temporary housing and home repairs, as well as other serious disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses or funeral and burial costs.”

To register for the assistance, residents, including renters, may visit or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), and have the following available: house address with zip code; detailed directions to the affected property; preliminary condition of the damaged home; property insurance information, if available; the registrant’s

Social Security Number; a reliable daytime phone number; and an address where the registrant can get mail. Eligible grantees may use direct deposit to have assistance funds sent directly to their bank or credit union. Interested individuals should provide bank account type, account number and bank routing number.

“FEMA will give those residents or business a registration number,” said Jefferson. “That number should be written down and saved. Whenever they contact FEMA for information or follow-up, that number will be required.” FEMA has operators who are capable of speaking a variety of languages.

Prosper residents in Denton County who had storm damage should register with FEMA even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under-insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled. Registration with FEMA should be completed before insurance claims are settled.

In addition, low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also are available. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations.

“Residents and businesses in that part of Prosper are encouraged to register with FEMA as soon as possible,” said. “Only then can eligibility be determined. Without registering, they won’t find out if they can benefit.”

View Original Article