Two Special District propositions on the May 5 municipal election ballot are the subject of a Town Hall meeting, hosted by Mayor Pro Tem Curry Vogelsang.
The open forum meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 12 starting at 6 p.m. in the conference room of Prosper Fire Station No. 2, 1140 South Teel Parkway. The station is one block north of US 380.
The two propositions on the ballot, if approved, would authorize the creation of a Crime Control and Prevention District, and a Fire Control, Prevention, and Emergency Medical Services District. The two districts would be authorized to share .50 percent of the sales and use tax currently collected by the Town.
The sales and use tax, 8.25 percent on taxable products and services, is now split between the state and the Town, with Prosper’s share of 2.0 percent further divided between 1.0 percent for the General Fund, .50 percent for economic development, and .50 percent for property tax relief.
With voter approval, the half-cent of the sales and use tax designated for property tax relief would be diverted into a two-way split, funding the proposed districts. Each of the two districts would receive .25 percent of the sales and use taxes.
Studies estimate that Prosper residents are responsible for slightly more than 36 percent of the sales and use tax collected in the Town, meaning that the remaining 64 percent of the funds are contributed by non-residents. It’s anticipated that the addition of more retail and other commercial establishments in Prosper will substantially increase the sales tax receipts for the Town.
At the Town Hall meeting, Mayor Pro Tem Vogelsang will open the discussion with an informational PowerPoint presentation. Afterward, speakers from the proposed district’s governing boards will provide detail on their deliberations up to this point in the process.
Finally, brief comments from Police Chief Doug Kowalski and Fire Chief Stuart Blasingame will be followed by a question and answer session. Handouts will be available for distribution.
Fire Station 2 is wheelchair accessible. For special services or assistance, contact should be made with the Town Secretary’s Office at (972) 569-1011 at least 48 hours prior to the meeting time. Information about the Special Election is available on the Town website: https://www.prospertx.gov/government/elections/, and sample ballots are available on the Collin County and Denton County election websites.