The first settlers arrived in this area in 1846 for the black fertile prairie soil of North Texas where cotton was a key crop. Between 1850 and 1902, two settlements existed. One community, Rock Hill, was two miles south of the present town. The second community, Richland, was one mile north. The development of these small communities was expedited in 1876 when County Courts ordered small tracts of land to be established for quick sale. These tracts, each approximately 160 acres in size, were sold for $3.50 per acre. Dr. A. T. Bryant of McKinney purchased one of the tracts, which later became the geographic nucleus for the Town of Prosper.
The establishment of the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad in March of 1902 forced the communities of Rock Hill and Richland to merge forming the Town of Prosper.
For years, Prosper was the central stop for the railroad between Dallas and Sherman. When community officials applied for a post office with the name "Richland," they were informed the city name was already taken. Postmaster B.J. Naugle asked for an alternative name, and J.C. Slaughter suggested the name "Prosper," because crops that year had been very prosperous.
The Town of Prosper was incorporated in 1914 with a commission form of government and a population of 500. U.N. Clary was the Town’s first Mayor and he would serve in that position for the next 49 years.
The citizens of Prosper voted to adopt a Home Rule Charter on November 7, 2006, establishing the Town’s powers, authority, and governing structure. Under a Council-Manager form of government, the Town provides exceptional municipal services with an emphasis on community connections.
Today, the Town of Prosper is a fast-growing community that is an attractive destination for families and businesses. With a projected buildout population of 72,000, we are proud of our small-town charm and high quality of life.
State of the Community Presentation
Visit the State of the Community Presentation archive.